Secondary School Sf. Gheorghe
Sf. Gheorghe is situated in the South east of Romania, in the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve, at the end of the third branch of the Danube, where the waters of the river meet those of the Black Sea. There are 2 km from the village to the shore of the Black Sea, The nearest locality is Sulina, 40 km far and the nearest town is Tulcea at 86 km.
The archaeological discoveries enlightened traces of the middle Palaeolithic and which were about 120 000 years old. The presence of the Geto - Dacians is illustrated by the archaeological discoveries on the sand banks that surround the village of Sf. Gheorghe. The Sf. Gheorghe branch represented the most important trade road of the Greeks for centuries, fact that was proved by the amphorae discovered there. The village is mentioned for the first time – as “San Giorgio” - on a map of the Genovese Visconti in 1318 among the important economical centres in Dobrogea.
At the beginning the population settled on the sand bank Buhaz, at the south of the branch Sf. Gheorghe. The inhabitants are, partly, the descendants of the Ukrainians that unofficially took refuge from Russia during the reign of Catherine the Great because they feared the 25 years military service The colonization of the region with population of slave origin was realized in many stages between 1709 and 1775. The first Romanians settled here were several shepherds that came at the beginning of the 19th century, in 1880, from the Făgăraş Mountains. They settled on “The sand bank of Nicu” named after their head shepherd. The Germans came in Dobrogea from the Russian colonies in 1841. The Bulgarians came from the Balkans and the North of Basarabia. Although most of them avoided staying on the shore of the Danube, some Bulgarian people settled in Sf. Gheorghe.
The name “SAN GIORGIO” appeared on the map of the Genovese Visconti in 1318. According to the legend, in 1821, on the holiday of Saint George a Turkish battle ship came in the village. To honour that day the pasha on the ship named the village “Katarlez” (read z as tz), which means “Sfântu Gheorghe” (“Saint George”) and that name was still in documents until 1833.
The first documents in the school archive are from 1894 which prove the importance of the education for the local population. The number of the students changed in time from 50 to 180 between 1894-1958, to 339 in 1966-1967. Since then, there are less and less students. At the beginning, most of the students were Ukrainians, few Romanians, Bulgarian, Greek and Germans. The actual building of the school was built in 1960, then modernised in 2007. The school has five classrooms, a teachers’ room, the principal’s office, an AeL Laboratory. There is also a sports ground for football, basketball, volleyball, handball, tennis and a little park. This year, there are 65 students attending the school and the kindergarten which offer them a general education and various extra-curricular activities. When they finish the secondary school children go to Tulcea to continue the studies. In spite of this difficulty, all the parents are very interested in their children’s education. There are 9 teachers: one for the kindergarten, two for the primary school and six for the secondary school. The programme is between 800-1500 for the school and 0800-1200 for the kindergarten. Since 1997 there is an ecological club which has been carrying on national and international projects in partnership with the DDBRA and different NGO’s. Despite its geographical situation the Secondary School in Sfântu Gheorghe has in view to offer its students a competitive level of instruction and the satisfaction of being useful and competent.